Westhampton Library Maker Club
I started a maker club at my local library in 2016. Here is the info for it:
March 12, 2016: Computers and programming
April 9, 2016: Robotics special guest
- Topics covered: basic programming concepts, output/input, Python programming language, websites and HTML, running programs from the command line, Minecraft servers
- Click here to download the exercises that we covered (instructions included): ZIP download
May 14, 2016: Hidden objects
- The Rhode Island computer museum is running a program called "Robots on the Run" where you can build robots using Arduino
- See more info here: website
Note new date!--->June 18, 2016: Stuff that goes up<---Note new date!
- We're going to be making objects that are not what they look like or have secrets hidden in them.
- Please bring in small to medium objects that you wouldn't mind cutting up or destroying, such as books, clean containers, small electronics, picture frames, etc. Basically anything from the size of a AA battery up to the size of a large chicken.
Note new date!--->July 16, 2016: Power and energy<---Note new date!
- We're going to play with things that float, fly, or just move through the air. Mostly we'll work on rockets, but we might look at kites, balloons, and cannons as well.
- Bring along some empty soda bottles if you have them to make rockets.
- We're going to talk about the difference between energy and power, and how we use those concepts in everyday life.
- We'll learn about some different types of energy, and then we'll see if we can use some math to predict how much energy things have (hint: if things blow up they have lots of energy).
- This is also going to be my last month leading maker club because I am moving out of town to go to grad school. If anyone is interested in taking over leadership of the club, please let me know.